Screen capture image from 40 Days For Life Anchorage Facebook page.

Editor’s note: This message was emailed to local supporters of the 40 Days for Life prayer vigil — an international effort of prayer to end to abortion. Anchorage participants are keeping vigil in front of the local Planned Parenthood abortion clinic on Lake Otis Parkway. Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest provider of abortions. Bob McMorrow, youth director at St. Benedict Church in Anchorage, wrote the following account. It details how a local teen decided against aborting her unborn baby.

The youth group at St. Benedict had the 7 p.m. shift on Tuesday night [Oct. 2] in front of Planned Parenthood. Our goal was to spend an hour in prayer in front of abortion clinic. Ten of us had gathered. Little could have prepared us for the interruption that occurred half way through our rosary.

A car pulled in behind us and the driver said, “Please convince my daughter not to kill her baby!” Our calm night of prayer disappeared as a couple of our young adults sprang into action. The woman in the car had her 16-year-old daughter in the seat next to her. The daughter was very upset that her mother pulled over to talk to us. We went to her window but we were greeted with lots of profanity. The girl left the car and walked away, but before she walked away, the two young adults brought over their one-month-old son so the girl could see the beautiful baby. Since the daughter walked away, we had a chance to talk to the mom alone and we were able to hear their story.

They had just come out of Planned Parenthood and the mother had just signed the consent forms to allow her daughter to have an abortion the next day. When the mother drove by us in prayer she had a conversion experience and she changed her mind. She did not want her daughter to kill her baby but she did not want her daughter to hate her either. We convinced the mother that her role of parent was to do the right thing and that her daughter would understand eventually. The mother went back into Planned Parenthood to revoke the consent she had given just 15 minutes earlier. Planned Parenthood refused to return the consent forms to the pleading mother. The mother was very angry but she was not able to revoke her consent. After coming back out of PP, she went to her daughter and talked to her for a few minutes.

They both returned to the car where we were waiting for them. The girl was a little more open to talking to us. We were able to talk to her about the development of her baby and gave her a couple fliers that illustrated what we were talking about. We were able to tell her about Crisis Pregnancy Center and get her the contact information. Eventually, the girl stated that she never wanted to kill her baby but she was scared and did not know what else to do. The parents then offered to let her hold their baby. She held the baby for about 10 minutes … a deep conversion was happening in her too.

In the end, the mother and the girl were determined to keep the baby and seek help from Crisis Pregnancy Center. We gave them our contact information in case they needed help getting the support they would need. After about 45 minutes, the mom and her daughter drove away. We are all still processing what happened but there is no doubt that we all experienced the Providence of God. We will continue to pray for the mother, the girl and her baby, please pray for them as well.

Did you like this? Share it: